Friday, July 10, 2009

Quiche with Goat's Cheese and Garden Herbs


In response to my post about goats, I thought I should think of a good recipe using goat cheese. I have no shortage of goat cheese recipe ideas, but I especially love it when it's warmed in some way. This quiche is a delicious combination of creamy goat cheese, eggy custard, and gorgeous green herbs from my garden that just seem to get slipped in to everything I make lately. Please use this as a guideline and add whatever herbs you like and more or less cheese to your taste. Quiche is such a simple thing to make, I never measure, if you add 4 eggs instead of 3 or yogurt instead of milk or parsley instead of sage, it will still taste delicious!

Quiche with Goat's Cheese and Garden Herbs

1 roll frozen puff pastry
3 eggs
a nice piece of soft goat cheese (I used about the size of a golf ball)
3/4 cup milk
a good bunch of herbs, I used basil, chives, summer savoury and sage, finely chopped
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 375F.

Thaw the puff pastry either overnight in the fridge or on the counter for an hour or
two. Once thawed. place it in a pie dish with the parchment on the bottom and press
into the sides. Give it a few pricks with a fork.

Beat the eggs, then add the milk, salt and pepper.

Sprinkle the chopped herbs over the pastry, then add the cheese, breaking it up with
your fingers. Pour the egg mixture over top and put the quiche in the oven for about
45 minutes or until golden and puffed up. If you're not sure whether it's done, put a
knife in the middle and make sure it comes out clean.

Let cool and serve warm or at room temperature. We even it it fridge cold the next day
for lunch. Serve with a green salad and a crisp white wine for a beautiful summer lunch.




No comments: